I've been itching to get out of town and breathe some fresh air... so Friday we packed up and off we went to Cedar Lake National Recreation Area, outside of Heavener, OK. Troy and I camped there as newlyweds, shortly before moving to Louisiana. We were the only campers there in the Fall of 2005 and remember the area fondly. I thought the kids would enjoy camping in this beautiful area. 3 1/2 hours (plus a few stops for food, gas & bahtroom breaks) later...
We arrived at our campsite and the smell of the pines reminded me of Colorado... I teared up.
We set up our tent and the boys had LOTS of fun playing inside it.
Me and the boys... I'm fairly certain Z is unwilling or unable to smile in pictures that I am in with him. I promise, I just want ONE good normal decent pic of me and the kids... just one.
Happy camper
The boys helped collect firewood and got a lesson on staying away from poison ivy. And somehow we arrived home with only fireant bites (ouch! and itchy), but thankfully no poison ivy rashes.
Good morning, Z!
The
campground was nearly full, but even so it was pretty quiet there. Well,
quiet aside from our kids. They had a great time being outdoors. We
took a nice hike on Saturday morning.
I had hoped to see Autumn in full effect, but it's been pretty warm so far and most of the leaves were still green.
We roasted hotdogs and made s'mores at lunchtime. If you ever want a
perfectly roasted, gooey on the inside marshmallow, then talk to this
guy:
Piggyback ride!
What do you do when you have rock
climbing equipment, but live "where the wind comes sweeping down the
plains"? Make it into a rope swing, of course!
Then it was time to pack up and head home.
P.S. Going camping with 3 young children is not a great idea. We made some good memories and I really enjoyed the crisp, fresh air... but let's just say we barely got enough sleep to get home safely the next day. We will be staying closer to home for our next several adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment